Business and Community Law Clinic
The Business and Community Law Clinic (BCLC) at Wayne State University Law School offers free corporate and transactional legal services to qualifying community-based businesses, and for-profit and nonprofit organizations that aspire to create social good and impact to revitalize Detroit and Michigan. Under the supervision of experienced and licensed faculty, upper-level law student attorneys assume primary responsibility and work directly with organizational clients to address their transactional legal needs.
The BCLC's goals are to:
Provide upper-level law students with the opportunity to learn the theory, skills and practice of transactional lawyering through supervised representation of qualifying organizational clients, while also learning how transactional law can contribute to organizations' triple bottom line (people, profits, planet/environment, equity, economy); and
- Offer valuable corporate and transactional legal assistance to qualifying organizations that serve the community and contribute to the entrepreneurial momentum in Detroit and Michigan.
The BCLC also seeks to encourage the growth of social enterprise in Detroit and Michigan. Social enterprises (1) are for-profit organizations, nonprofit organizations, or both in a hybrid organizational structure (2) that use entrepreneurial and/or equitable strategies (3) to pursue outcomes that are not only financially oriented, but also positively impact employees, other stakeholders, the community, and the environment.
Typical matters handled and sample clients
The BCLC's services include assistance with organizational documents, corporate governance and compliance, operational contracts, financial documents, and select intellectual property protection. Sample clients of the BCLC include:
- A nonprofit organization that seeks to promote public interest design to promote altruism in Linwood Gardens, Detroit and the world
- A joint venture of two educational organizations that operate a community workshop in Brightmoor for building skills and an incubator for new enterprise
- A for-profit feminist collective that promotes creative expression and camaraderie among underrepresented female-identified musicians and artists in Detroit with an ultimate goal of creating a collaborative, female-owned and operated music and art community space
- A nonprofit that raises awareness and recycles tire waste in Detroit through artistic, educational and design activities
Community-based for-profit businesses, nonprofit organizations, and social enterprises contribute to thriving, sustainable, inclusive and equitable cities – yet they are often unable to address their corporate and transactional legal needs due to the unaffordability of legal services. The BCLC seeks to strengthen such enterprises and the communities they serve by providing free transactional legal assistance to organizations at all stages of formation and operation that meet the BCLC's selection criteria.
The BCLC is open to upper-level law students who (1) have taken or are concurrently enrolled in Corporations and (2) demonstrate interest, through other coursework, activities and experience, in transactional law and public service. Student attorneys normally represent multiple clients; interact with client executive management, board members and key representatives; and collaborate with other professionals, service providers and experts to holistically address the needs of their organizational clients.
- April 6: BCLC Legal Workshop at Social Enterprise Conference
- April 10: Neighborhood Small Business Legal Office Hours (bilingual for Spanish-speaking individuals)
- Upcoming Small Business Legal Office Hours
In order to be considered for the Neighborhood Small Business Legal Office Hours, an additional application must be completed within 48 hours of your scheduled appointment. Complete the application
Wayne State University Law School
Business and Community Law Clinic
471 W. Palmer St.
Detroit, Michigan 48202
Office: (313) 577-4015
Assistant Professor (Clinical) Anne Choike
Director of Business and Community Law Clinic
Clinical Programs Manager and Staff Attorney
Office Services Clerk Senior