Wayne Law's live-client clinics are directed by expert faculty and experienced practitioners who help students bridge the gap between theory and practice. Located on or close to campus and offered for credit, clinics provide hands-on casework to law students while simultaneously assisting residents of the metro Detroit community and beyond.
Externships provide a unique opportunity for students to work in a professional setting outside the Law School while earning academic credit. Wayne Law offers five externship programs. By emphasizing self-reflection, externships not only offer invaluable practical experience but ensure students have the capacity for self-directed professional growth beyond their law school years.
Professional skills/simulation courses
Professional skills/simulation courses teach the skills needed to effectively and responsibly engage in the practice of law. They also provide an excellent vehicle to build upon substantive coursework through application in a practice setting. Each skills course includes opportunities to engage in exercises requiring the judgment, analytic reasoning and application of law in a practice context and to receive individualized feedback. The faculty for skills courses include full-time faculty as well as experienced practitioners.
Wayne Law offers a variety of options for professional skills instruction. In addition to our clinic and externship offerings, we offer numerous simulation courses. These courses include substantive skills instruction along with multiple opportunities for students to test their lawyering skills and receive feedback from faculty.
To be eligible for graduation, students are required to complete a number of professional skills courses.
- For those entering fall 2005 through fall 2013 – two or more credits of professional skills.
- For those entering fall 2013 or later – six credits of professional skills, at least three must be through clinics or externships.
Courses that qualify as professional skills
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation: Current Issues Seminar
- Business Planning
- Business Planning: A Transactional Approach
- Contract Drafting Seminar
- Criminal Pretrial Advocacy
- Effective Oral Communication for Lawyers Seminar
- Interviewing & Counseling
- Mock Trial Workshop
- Patent Application Preparation
- Patent Prosecution
- Practicum in Dispute Resolution
- Pretrial Advocacy
- Taxation of Corporations: Acquisitions and Restructuring (formerly Advanced Corporate Tax Problems)
- Trial Advocacy