Wayne Law accepting applications for free pre-law institute for Detroiters
DETROIT – Undergraduate students interested in law are eligible to apply for Wayne State University Law School’s 2021 Damon J. Keith Pre-Law Summer Institute.
The four-week summer program, which is free to all participants, is open to rising juniors and seniors who are pursuing an undergraduate degree at any institution. Sophomores participating in a 3+3 program at Wayne State or Oakland University are also eligible to apply. Applicants must have graduated from a Detroit Public Schools Community District Public High School or be residents of the city of Detroit.
The majority of programming and instruction will take place online, though in-person activities may be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on University policy and CDC guidelines. All interested students, regardless of whether they have access to reliable internet and technology, are encouraged to apply. The program will take place July 12 – Aug. 6.
This first-of-its kind program at Wayne State is named for Judge Damon J. Keith, who for more than 50 years on the federal bench persuasively and movingly defended the Constitution and helped communities enforce their civil rights.
Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, visit go.wayne.edu/djk-institute.
Participants will be selected by a committee at Wayne Law that will evaluate applicants based on their academic qualifications, statement of personal interest, and level of commitment to pursuing a legal career upon graduation.
Benefits of participation include:
- Full LSAT test preparation program provided by Kaplan (live online classes)
- $500 stipend awarded upon successful completion of the program to cover LSAT registration expenses
- Opportunities to connect with mentors in the Detroit legal community and with current Wayne Law students
- Visits to local law firms, federal, state, and local courts, public interest firms and organizations*
- Instructional sessions presented by Wayne Law faculty and staff on topics such as: legal writing, academic success, financial literacy, professionalism, and the law school application and admissions process
- Team-building and social events*
*In-person activities will be considered on a case-by-case basis and cannot be guaranteed due to COVID-19.
# # #
About AccessLex Institute
AccessLex Institute is a nonprofit organization committed to helping talented, purpose-driven students find their path from aspiring lawyer to fulfilled professional. In partnership with its nearly 200-member law schools, improving access and positively influencing legal education have been at the heart of the Company’s mission since 1983. AccessLex Institute has offices in West Chester, PA, and Washington, D.C., with a team of accredited financial education counselors based throughout the United States. Learn more at AccessLex.org.