Current Issues in Immigration Law - Friday, Nov. 10
The Levin Center at Wayne State University Law School presents Current Issues in Immigration Law: Detention, "Sanctuary Cities" and the "Travel Ban." Experts from across the country will converge in Detroit at Wayne Law on Friday, Nov. 10, for this free, day-long symposium on detention, "sanctuary cities" and the "travel ban," with a special luncheon panel on the recent detention of Chaldeans in the Detroit area.
The conference is free, but advance registration is required. Admission cannot be guaranteed without advance registration.
Registration deadline: Monday, Nov. 6
This conference is made possible through the generous support of the Manoogian Simone Foundation and the Alex and Marie Manoogian Foundation.
8 a.m. - Continental breakfast
8:45 a.m. - Opening remarks
- Conference moderator: Professor Robert M. Ackerman, director of the Levin Center at Wayne Law
- Dean Richard A. Bierschbach, Wayne State University Law school
- Former U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, chair of the Levin Center at Wayne Law
9 a.m. - Panel 1, "Immigration Detention in the United States"
- Moderator: Rachel Settlage, Wayne Law
- Royce Bernstein Murray, American Immigration Council
- Denise Gilman, University of Texas Austin Law School
- Jamil N. Jaffer, Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
- Anil Kalhan, Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law
10:30 a.m. - Break
10:45 a.m. - Panel 2, "Sanctuary Cities: Immigration Law Meets Federalism"
- Moderator: Paul Dubinsky, Wayne Law
- Aaron Fellmeth, Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University
- Pratheepan Gulasekaram, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Christopher Lasch, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Virgil Wiebe, University of St. Thomas School of Law
12:15 p.m. - Box lunches available
12:30 p.m. - Panel 3, "Iraqi Deportations in Detroit: Community Perspectives and Responses"
- Moderator: Sabrina Balgamwalla, Wayne Law
- Susan Reed, Michigan Immigrant Rights Center
- Margo Schlanger, University of Michigan Law School
- Nadine Yousif Kalasho, CODE Legal Aid, Inc.
2 p.m. - Break
2:15 p.m. - Panel 4, "The President, the Courts and the 'Travel Ban'"
- Moderator: Jonathan T. Weinberg, Wayne Law
- Ming Hsu Chen, University of Colorado Law School
- Martin Lederman, Georgetown University Law Center
- Jan Ting, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Shoba Sivaprasad Wadhia, Penn State Law School
3:45 p.m. - Closing remarks
- Conference moderator: Professor Robert M. Ackerman