Wayne Law News Center
- Wayne Law appoints director of employer development
- July 6, 2016
- Wayne Law student chosen for public interest leadership position
- July 6, 2016
- Sedler releases statement on Supreme Court striking down Texas abortion restrictions
- June 27, 2016
- Wayne State offering fast track to bachelor's plus law degree
- June 27, 2016
Professors in the News
Director of the Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights; Professor of Law Peter Hammer was interviewed by YES! Magazine for its report, "How we report on structural racism can hurt us - or heal us."Read Article
Director of the Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights; Professor of Law Peter Hammer wrote a guest post for GreatLakesLaw.com, a blog by Associate Professor Noah Hall about "all things wet and legal in the Great Lakes Region." Hammer's post is titled, "The Flint Water Crisis, KWA and Strategic-Structural Racism."Read Article
Professor of Law Peter Henning was quoted by Time Magazine for its report, "This Guy Drove 10,000 Cans to Michigan (Like in Seinfeld) and Got Busted."Read Article
Professor of Law Peter Henning was quoted by USA Today and the Detroit Free Press for reports about Fiat Chrysler revising new car sales figures.Read Article
- More Profs in the News
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- Law School - Mark Weiss Day at Comerica Park 2016
- August 5 2016 at 5:30 PMComerica ParkFriday, August 5, 2016Picnic at 5:30 p.m. on Party Deck #2Game starts at 7:10 p.m. The 14th annual Mark Weiss Day at Comerica Park is Friday, August 5, 2016. This year, the American League Champion Detroit Tigers take on the New York Mets. The picnic starts at 5:30 p.m. on Party Deck #2, and the game begins at 7:10 p.m. The actual cost for the picnic and ticket to the game is $52. We are requesting a minimum of $125 for each ticket. The remaining $73 will be a tax deductible gift to the Mark Weiss Memorial Scholarship Fund. We encourage you to consider making a contribution to the fund. In deciding what you should do, please consider the following: • A goal was set thirteen years ago to raise $250,000 to provide scholarships for students and recent graduates who share the same dream as Mark - a commitment to provide legal aid to the underserved in the community; and now, we have exceeded that target. • More than 250 lawyers, judges, friends, family members have generously contributed to the memorial fund. • The scholarship was established as a joint project of Wayne Law and the Michigan Association for Justice, formerly known as the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association. Mark, who graduated from the school in 1969, devoted his considerable skills to fighting for the rights of the poor and powerless, and protecting the civil rights of all litigants. To date, 41 scholarships have been awarded to Wayne Law students in memory of Mark Weiss. Tickets will be mailed directly to you through July 31. If a purchase is made the week of the game you are required to personally pick up your tickets from the Office of Special Events and Services at Wayne State University. They are located in the AAB building at 5700 Cass Avenue, Suite 4300 in Detroit. If you have any questions regarding your ticket purchase, please call (313) 577-0300. If you cannot attend the game, but wish to make a contribution to the Mark Weiss Memorial Scholarship Fund, donations are accepted online or by mail. If by mail, send your check directly to Wayne State University Law School: Mark Weiss Scholarship Fund, attention: Desirnai' Hicks at 471 West Palmer Street, Suite 3505, Detroit, MI 48202. Checks should be made payable to Wayne State University. For questions regarding contributions, Desirnai' can be reached at (313) 577-9763 or firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be a wonderful opportunity for the friends of Mark to catch up, reminisce and participate in one of Mark's favorite pastimes and to continue his legacy through the support of progressive law students. As always, thanks for your support. Very truly yours, Michael L. PittSo that tickets are not delayed in the mail, if you wish to purchase tickets after Friday, July 31, contact the WSU Office of Special Events and Services directly at (313) 577-0300 to purchase by phone and schedule pick up. Thank you!
- National Conference of State Legislatures Legislative Summit
- August 8 2016 at 1:00 PMMcCormick Place, West BuildingLevin Center at Wayne Law will present a three-hour legislative oversight workshop at the National Conference of State Legislatures Legislative Summit in Chicago. Bipartisan, fact-based, in-depth oversight leads to good public policy. In this interactive session you’ll learn about approaches and tools to organize the work, how to better work with people of opposing views, focus on the facts and seek consensus. Speakers include: Elise Bean, interim co-director, Levin Center at Wayne Law Justin Rood, director of congressional oversight initiative, Project on Government Oversight Registration required.
- Clinic Swearing-In Ceremony
- August 31 2016 at 5:30 PMSpencer Partrich AuditoriumJoin the Wayne Law Clinical Education Program and the Free Legal Aid Clinic in welcoming 50 new students to the practice of law under Michigan Court Rule 8.120. The students will be sworn-in to practice by Justice Marilyn Kelly, Distinguished Jurist in Residence at Wayne Law. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
- Law School Alumni Reception during State Bar Annual Meeting
- September 22 2016 at 4:30 PMAmway Grand Plaza HotelJoin us for a special gathering with Dean Jocelyn Benson, faculty, alumni and friends as part of the State Bar of Michigan Annual Meeting. This is a free event but registration is required. Space is limited.
- Wayne Law Reunion
- October 14 2016 at 5:30 PMTo be determinedSAVE THE DATE Wayne Law Reunion Cocktail and hors d'oeuvres reception: $25(Location will be announced and tickets will go on sale in August.) All Wayne Law alumni invited Honoring the classes of 2006 and 2011 Class of 2006 leaders: Alexander A. AyarCatherine A. BrainerdKelly A. Van SuilichemAmanda D. SzukalaRonda Tate Truvillion Class of 2011 leaders: Daimeon CottonDavid J. DeegLaura Marie KubitAndrew M. MastErika A. Riggs We are still looking for additional class leaders. If you are interested, contact Duc Abrahamson at (313) 577-6199 or email@example.com.
- Flu Shot Clinic
- October 20 2016 at 11:00 AMPartrich AtriumFlu Shot Clinics to administer flu shots to WSU Law students, staff and faculty
- More Events
Andrew Wachler '78, principal of Wachler & Associates, co-wrote CMS Proposed Rule to Implement Major Reforms to...Read more
Faculty, staff accomplishments
Director of the Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights; Professor of Law Peter Hammer spoke at the Make Government Work Forum #4 which was sponsored by Southeast...Read more
Ebonie Byndon-Fields was featured in the Detroit Legal News for its report, "'Fields' of dreams - Former social worker...Read more