Live, Learn, Work and Play in Midtown Detroit
Recent articles on Detroit and Midtown
- Is Detroit the new Brooklyn? - PBS, 7.7.11
- Detroit Pushes Back With Young Muscles - New York Times, 7.3.11
- Best Law Schools for Standard of Living - National Jurist, 6.30.11
- The Best Places for Business - Forbes, 6.30.11 (Cover story)
- Cool factor lures the young, artsy to Detroit - Detroit News, 6.29.11
- Detroit's Fix-It Men: In Their Own Words - Forbes, 6.29.11
- With map: Woodward light-rail project surges ahead after Detroit, feds agree on a route - Detroit Free Press, 6.29.11
The Law School’s enviable location in the heart of Midtown Detroit gives students almost limitless professional, social and cultural opportunities.
Wayne Law is within walking distance of the Detroit Public Library, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the International Institute, the Detroit Historical Museum, the Detroit Science Center and the Charles Wright Museum of African-American History. East of the main campus are the Detroit Medical Center and the Wayne State University Medical School, and adjacent to campus is the University's Hilberry Theatre, which houses one of the most distinguished graduate theater repertory companies in the United States. South of campus are the Bonstelle Theatre and Orchestra Hall. Wayne Law students are able to enjoy museums in the cultural center, shows in the Theatre District or international cuisine in one of city's many diverse ethnic enclaves.
Many Wayne Law students find internships, summer jobs, and permanent employment in the nearby downtown area, which is home to state and federal courts, governmental agencies, major law firms, public interest organizations, as well as corporate headquarters.
Of the top 15 largest law firms in Michigan, only one does not have an office in Metro Detroit. Additionally, these law firms value a Wayne Law education and employ large numbers of Wayne Law alumni.
Top 15 largest law firms in Michigan and the percentage of their employees who are Wayne Law alumni:
|1||Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone PLC||27%|
|2||Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn||26%|
|3||Dickinson Wright PLLC||21%|
|4||Warner Norcross and Judd||17%|
|8||Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt, and Howlett LLP||16%|
|9||Plunkett and Cooney||15%|
|11||Jaffe, Raitt, Heuer, and Weiss PC||34%|
|12||Foster, Swift, Collins and Smith PC||16%|
|15||Garan Lucow Miller PC||
* Information gathered from Michigan Lawyers Weekly's “Largest Law Firms Directory" 2010.
In addition Wayne Law's location in Detroit offers its students numerous opportunities for internships and placements each year. Visit the Approved Internship Field Placements link on Wayne Law's internship page online to see where recent students have interned for academic credit.