News and Announcements Archive
Damon J. Keith Collection Exhibit Currently on Display at IUPUI
DETROIT (Jan. 23, 2008) – Marching Toward Justice: The History of the 14th Amendment will enlighten yet another community as it visits Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) until Feb. 29, 2008.
The exhibit, sponsored at IUPUI by Citizens Gas Company of Indiana, will be featured as part of the opening celebration of IUPUI’s new Campus Center Building, as well as a tribute to Justice Thurgood Marshall. It will also be part of IUPUI’s Black History Month Celebration.
An opening ceremony took place at IUPUI on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2008. Wayne State University Law School Assistant Professor of Law (Clinical) and Director of the Damon J. Keith Collection Dana A. Roach spoke at the opening ceremony about the conception and history of the exhibit, as well as the history of the Damon J. Keith Collection.
The Marching Toward Justice exhibit was created by the Damon J. Keith Collection to inform the public about the fundamental importance of the 14th Amendment and our nation's ongoing quest to realize the high ideals of the Declaration of Independence. It tells the story of our government's promotion of justice and equality for some, while condoning the enslavement of others.
The 14th Amendment's ratification in 1868 created a dramatic and fundamental break from the past by promising full protection to all American citizens, regardless of race, social status, gender, or conflicting state laws. It was a significant step toward fulfilling the American Revolution's promise that all men are created equal and entitled to full and equal protection under the law.
Since the inaugural exhibition at the Thurgood Marshall Law Center in Washington, D.C., the exhibit has traveled to more than 30 sites including San Francisco, Chicago, Topeka Kansas, Boston, Dallas, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Please contact Professor Dana Roach at (313) 577-3961 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule the Marching Toward Justice Exhibit in your community.
Wayne State University Law School has served Michigan and beyond since its inception as Detroit City Law School in 1927. Located in Detroit’s re-energized historic cultural center, the Law School remains committed to student success and features modern lecture and court facilities, multi-media classrooms, a 250-seat auditorium, and the Arthur Neef Law Library, which houses one of the nation's 30 largest legal collections. Taught by an internationally recognized faculty, Wayne State Law School students experience a high-quality legal education via a growing array of hands-on curricular offerings, five live-client clinics, and access to well over 100 internships with local and non-profit entities each year. Its 11,000 living alumni, who work in every state of the nation and more than a dozen foreign countries, include leading members of the local, national and international legal communities. For more information, visit www.law.wayne.edu.