Wayne Law News Center
- Carl Levin to speak at Wayne Law Commencement; pioneering Indian justice to get honorary degree
- April 23, 2015
- Wayne Law honors 7 at Treasure of Detroit
- April 23, 2015
- Dan Ringo returns to alma mater Wayne Law to talk corporate careers
- April 23, 2015
- The Journal of Law in Society at Wayne Law elects new board
- April 22, 2015
Professors in the News
Professor of Law Peter Henning was quoted in Business Insider article "Traders have been 'spoofing' the market and now regulators are finally catching on."Read Article
Professor of Law John Mogk was quoted in Detroit News article "Detroit's Cass Corridor makes way for new era."Read Article
Director of the Damon J. Keith Center for Civil Rights; Professor of Law Peter Hammer was interviewed as part of WXYZ-TV story "Quicken Loans sues government over mortgage investigation."Read Article
Associate Dean for Student Affairs Noah Hall was quoted in Detroit Free Press story "Shipping Great Lakes water? That's California dreaming."Read Article
- More Profs in the News
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- Lake Erie Algae Update: Background on the Problem and Michigan's Response
- April 28 2015 at 12:00 PMwebinarWayne Law Assistant (Clinical) Professor Nick Schroeck, director of the Transnational Environmental Law Clinic, is hosting a webinar through the Michigan State Bar Environmental Law Section on Lake Erie algae. Schroeck is co-chair of the section's Great Lakes and Inland Water Commmittee, and will introduce the webinar. Presenters will include Phil Argiroff and Tom Alwin of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. To register, visit https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8603127998030630913. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email and further instructions about joining the webinar.
- The Racialization of the Justice System
- May 7 2015 at 6:30 PMSwords Into Plowshares Peace CenterFrom Ferguson to New York, from Inkster to South Carolina, an alarming number of African-Americans are being shot, killed or beaten by police as victims of racial profiling. To date, there have been few, if any, consequences for the perpetrators of these crimes. Hear Wayne Law Assistant Professor Blanche Cook's presentation on this disturbing practice and its effect on the criminal justice system. Cook will provide insight into the depth and scope of this crisis in our country as she speaks on the racialization of the justice system. Cook served as assistant U.S. attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice for Tennessee. She also clerked for the Honorable Damon J. Keith of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Her areas of expertise include criminal law and procedures, critical race theory and trial advocacy. This event is sponsored by the American Civil Liberties Union, Coalition of Labor Union Women, Swords into Plowshares Peace Center, Central United Methodist Church, the Civil Rights Committee of the Metro Detroit AFL-CIO and People's World, among others.
- Admissions/Detroit Public Schools Mock Trial Tournament - Final
- May 14 2015 at 9:00 AMLaw School Building, Spencer M. Partrich AuditoriumAnnual mock trial tournaments with six Detroit Public Schools.
- Law School Dean's Luncheon
- May 15 2015 at 12:00 PMThe Detroit Athletic ClubDean Jocelyn Benson would like to invite all admitted law students to a lunch with faculty and herself at the Detroit Athletic Club to congratulate the incoming Fall 2015 class on their admission. Dress Code is professional business attire and valet parking will be available. We are unable to accomodate guests.
- Law School Commencement
- May 18 2015 at 5:00 PMDetroit Opera HouseStudents who complete their requirements for the J.D. and LL.M. degrees within the academic year are eligible to participate in the Law School Commencement ceremony. The ceremony, open to graduates and their guests, will be at the Detroit Opera House. Tickets are required. An hors d'oeuvres reception will follow the ceremony. Carl Levin, Michigan’s longest-serving U.S. senator and chair of the newly launched Levin Center at Wayne Law, will deliver the keynote address. During the ceremony, the university will award an honorary doctor of laws degree to Sujata Manohar, a former member of the Supreme Court of India and an international pioneer for women’s rights and human rights. Complete details Members of the media and others who would like to attend the ceremony should contact Shawn Starkey at (313) 577-4629 or email@example.com for tickets.
- Admissions/Detroit Public Schools Mock Trial Tournament - Middle School
- June 1 2015 at 9:00 AMLaw School Building, Spencer M. Partrich AuditoriumAnnual mock trial tournaments with six Detroit Pubic Schools.
- More Events
Thomas Guyer '74, was honored by the Fair Housing Center of Metropolitan Detroit during its annual Attorney...Read more
Distinguished Professor of Law Robert Sedler spoke as part of a panel on U.S. federal courts in a program sponsored by the...Read more
Milica Filipovic was part of the Wayne Law team that won the U.S. Midwest Regional of the Philip C. Jessup...Read more